I don't know if sharing this will help you, but I will tell you what happened to me: I used a Garnier semi-permanent colour on my virgin hair, which pretty much dried it to a crisp...and then the following day, I had an accident with the vacuum cleaner ;p I was trying to get under my bed with it, and there was a clump of shed dog hair that it wasn't getting at...I leaned the vacuum cleaner back without shutting it off, and reached under the bed with my arm to grab the dog fur. The vacuum sucked up my hair, which is very long, and it got caught in the beater bar. I had the presence of mind to switch off the vacuum and get my hair out, but I was freaking!

The beater bar broke my hair - the top surface in the back - right along the whole back of my head. The following day, I was going to a big fancy ball and I had to try and straighten my hair to hide the damage under a low-bun hair do. So that fried my hair even more. I could actually hear my poor hair crackling under the first pass of my Babyliss straightening iron ;p

The result of all that led me here, and since I changed my products for protein free, doing DT's, and started using correct methods (I use supersoaker myself) my dry, broken hair is gradually remoisturizing - but it took me two months to fix it. The broken layer of hair has now taken to curling back in with my other clumps, so it is possible to regrow the damaged parts, and get them to curl in with the others, once your hair is in a healthier, more moisturized place...

Hth. You're not alone ;p

ETA: The Devacurl products worked well in my hair for about a week, then it made my hair fall out in dry clumps! I brought it back to the store, because even if it might be a great product and worked well for others, it just over-protein-ated my hair, I think.

Re-ETA- mine also was no longer curling much after all that naus, but I am now far more of
a 3A than a 2C - and I had slid into 2B when my hair was destroyed by all that ;p
Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
My hair officially hates protein Once a month is enough!
Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay!
BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!

Last edited by Knotty_Maddy; 11-13-2012 at 04:24 PM.