View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #3190
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoT View Post
So...

I had an interview for a clinical/administrative assistant position at a hospital that I really want last Wednesday (1 week ago). I'd be working with the physicians, doing patient assessments and other clinical stuff along with assisting the office with administrative stuff. It's the perfect opportunity for me since I want to work in the medical field and I can see the potential for this position benefiting me greatly in so many ways. The benefits and starting salary are great too. They told me that they were looking for new graduates specifically and that this position is unique. It has been open since July.

I had to take an assessment test for some computer stuff and Microsoft applications (word, powerpoint, excel, access ) and I did excellent on all of them (above 90). I got 87% on Access and the HR manager was blown away because she said most people get in the 50-60% range. Shoot, I was even surprised. Anyway I interviewed with a total of 3 people (1 from HR and 2 from the department I'd be working in) and all three interviews went very well. They seem impressed with me and that they liked me. I sent the 2 people thank you emails that same night and I left a message to the HR person the next day.

Now it's been a week and I haven't heard anything from anyone. Before I left my last interview I asked when I would hear anything and she said about 2 weeks. The guy I interviewed with said they are looking at other qualified applicants, and that's the status of my application on the website.

I guess I'm worried about nothing but I just don't know. This whole week has been a painful waiting game. That was my first in person interview since I graduated college. It went extremely well in my opinion and I'd be honest with myself about it being otherwise. I've heard that if they don't offer you an interview right then and there that you're probably not going to get it.

Is 2 weeks+ typical? Why didn't they respond to my messages? Should I call for an update? Should I call HR or the people in my potential department?

I feel like I should be doing something else but I'm not sure what else to do but wait. One thing I realized I forgot was to give them my updated resume and references. But they never asked. I probably should have offered them.
They said you'd probably here something in 2 weeks? In 2 weeks I'd follow up and ask for an update of the status of your application. And then I'd keep waiting. Heck, at this point you literally might not hear anything until January! People are on vacation, and holidays, and things just get skipped over in the hectic shuffle of stuff to do.

This is just one of the reasons you should always keep applying and keep interviewing even if you had an interview go great! And remember, if you don't get the job, it can very well have nothing to do with you. You could have been perfectly qualified and people's favorite person to meet with...but it could go to an internal candidate from another department, or to someone with a reference from the department, or any number of reasons. Don't get discouraged!