Thank you ladies.
My grandad is quickly declining and it came out of NOWHERE. It started with "where is my apartment" and in a matter of 5 weeks has gone to him flooding the bathroom as he can't remember how to turn off the taps, thinking the elevator is the bathroom, shooting shaving cream all over the bedroom, running into the street, forgetting the year and the list goes on and on. My grandmother cannot cope and passed out yesterday while at her haircut appointment because she is sleeping 1 hour a night if that due to him waking her up at all hours and her fear of what he will do next. I just spoke to her and she is exhausted and defeated. She wants to put him in a home but my auntie (who is a daddy's girl) says absolutely not. I see her point but my Nan is the one who has to do this care taking and at 80 (albeit a very spry 80) she cannot keep this up.
I am very close with him and this has been very hard, but I feel so much for my Nan.
At the end of August I decided to spend money that I shouldn't have and went over to the UK to visit them for two weeks. I just had a feeling and literally booked it 6 days before I went. I am very glad that I did.
Originally Posted by Narnia
Im so sorry to hear that, my grandfather has alzheimers and
I know it can cause a lot of stress and strain on everyone in the family especially the caregiver. It is difficult to put someone you love in a home but the caregivers health and life is affected as well and must also be taken into account. My grandmother has a nurse that comes to the house a few days a week to help her out, maybe that could be an option? I send my prayers and wish you all the best.