View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #18500
CocoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrrcat View Post

You are so awesome.

I've put off applying to anything because the thought of it makes me want to throw up.
Also the recommendation letters are the biggest turn off, every professor at my school as the reputation of being horrible at writing recommendation letters, as in they procrastinate doing it, so you have to bug the hell out of them

I also want one from my boss, but she's very....slack also, I mean she's busy, and would put it off also.

It's very annoying.
I also don't like the feels of rejection so I don't want to apply. Which is why I didn't want to apply for colleges in high school either, I just wanted to got community college because they accept everyone. But then my father made me. I already missed my date to apply to a big time university that is 5 seconds from my house.
The whole thing makes me want to vomit.

Good luck cocot!

How'd you do your recommendation letters btw?
Actually anyone answer.

My school also sucks because our advisers are professors, which means they don't really give af, about your life after college they just want to tell you what classes to take and kick you out of their office. (AND THEY DON'T CARE IF THE CLASSES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING YOU LIKE HOW MANY PLANT CLASSES HAVE I TAKEN WHEN I CARE NOTHING OF PLANTS) I wanted to write that on my exit survey but I had to hand it to my adviser LOL, so I didn't want him to read it. Because I was gonna rip him a new one.
I don't plan on applying to graduate school until 2014 so I have not gone through that part yet, but I intend on being more proactive in building relationships with my professors in the next two years so that asking for LOR would be a little less stressful.

The only time I've had to worry about recommendation letters was when I need them to apply for study abroad. I wasn't even close to the professors I asked. When I came to them to ask for a LOR I provided them with my personal statement, reminded them who I was (I was shocked they remembered and liked me.lol) and told them when I needed them. They were really accommodating.

For grad school it would be a little different though because a really good letter requires more commitment (time wise) and needs to be more personal. The letter writer needs to be able to make a compelling case on your behalf and speak about your academic credibility. If you don't have personal connections to your potential letter writers, you still have a chance at getting a decent letter. Professors and advisors expect to be asked for LOR. They probably have templates or something.

When asking for one I would approach them in person, tell them why you'd like them to write your letter (suck up a bit, remind them who you are if it's been a while), let them know what you're applying for, provide/offer them with your personal statement, and let them know when your app is due. If they agree to do it, you may have to stay on top of them for time. That's why it's best to ask well before you need it.

Oh and thanks You're awesome too!

-Albert Einstein
Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG

Last edited by CocoT; 11-18-2012 at 11:23 AM.
CocoT is offline   Reply With Quote