This is depressing. I have an "ethnic" sounding name and now wonder how many positions I could have been passed up for other "non-ethnic" sounding names.
Originally Posted by cocodej
My name isn't "ethnic" but I've contemplated lying about my race. I know discrimination happens but it doesn't take away the fact that it's frustrating. But I decide against lying about myself because what good will that do in the long run? I'm not gonna paint my skin white so I'm better off being honest about who I am. If a company doesn't want to hire me because I'm black then I'm glad they didn't call me anyway.
Originally Posted by CocoT
I can definitely agree with that instance, but it may be that the HR person is the one who is biased. What if just getting in the door is harder because of discrimination, yet the company culture or department you will be in is another matter? I wonder if anyone has done a piece or some research on HR culture; that could go really far in helping job searches.
Originally Posted by cocodej
Good point. It can also be the other way around. The department/company culture could be unwelcoming and discriminatory while HR can be the opposite. In either scenario I'm still screwed by racism.lol

Any way you spin it, I as the job seeker can't control those things. How and where racism and discrimination will arise are beyond my control. I can only be who I am and hope they give me a chance for reasons beyond my skin color or appearance. Even my gender can prevent me from getting in the door to some places.

I think race, age and sex should be left off of job applications.

This would certainly be an interesting research project.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds

-Albert Einstein
Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG