My mother told us that when she named me and my sisters that she purposely chose names that wouldn't get us pre-judged by small-minded individuals.

That being said, I've met both black and white ladies with my first name, and I've seen an equal number of blacks/whites with my maiden name. My married name is NOT common at all (just did a google search, one source said there were less than 10K in the US; 55% of them being white), so both as a single and now married I've been able to fly under the "name radar"...

...which leads me to a similar predicament that the article's author mentioned - an EEO survey.

Being recently laid off (another topic, if not for the Lord on my side I'd still be pretty salty about it), I had to go online to file my unemployment claim, which included an EEO survey. One of the options was to choose not to indicate race, but to me that's a dead giveaway --> Why would a person choose not to indicate their race unless they were something other than white?

So I bit the bullet and indicated that I'm a black woman. But a small part of me wouldn't be surprised if I run into a glitch or miss out on any potential employment leads if someone comes across my EEO profile. We shall see...