It did the same to my hair, but it also has protein in it as well as magnesium sulfate; not all hair types/properties can handle that. If your hair does not like those ingredients, you can try some Epsom salt with either your cowash (if you cowash) or RO, just mix a tablespoon in - makes a great scalp massage if used with low-poo or cowash, and softens, curls, and volumizes hair if put in the RO, I have discovered. You can talk also to Jas who posts here - if you look in the general discussions forum, you will see her post on Epsom salt She was the one who got me onto it.

The other option that I know of (because I use it) is TiGi's Catwalk Curls Rock Curls Amplifying Creme. It works the same as AG:Recoil but it has no mag sulf or protein in it. Oh, and, yes, you may have been using too much - try fiddling with how much you use before jumping ship Less can be more, with these products! Hth.
Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
My hair officially hates protein Once a month is enough!
Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay!
BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!