It's hard to say for sure because you haven't been CG and you've been picking it out. Picking and brushing curls will turn most curl types into a fuzz ball. It does seem though like your hair is a 4 type and if that's the case it will never be 3C like Corbin's. My hair is 3C and I don't have to create ringlets, I can perfect them, but ringlets form in the shower with water/conditioner. If your hair doesn't revert back to ringlets after picking it's most like a 4. I'd focus on getting your hair healthy and then I'd explore type 4 hair styles until you find the look you want and that best suits your hair. I will say type 4 hair tends to be extremely delicate, if you've been treating it bad it's probably in really rough shape and you might want to consider starting over. I know it sucks, but it might be for the best. Hair is dead and despite product claims it can't be changed if it's truly damaged.

I think Black curls tend to get clumped as one in the greater media, and many of us have more than one curl type on our head, but the different curls are very different in terms of what can be achieved and what can't.