View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #43
violets

I am 41 and have been working in the private industry since I was 22. Saving to my 401k every year ( except 5 years I did not work).
What is in my 401k? Nothing great. There is no way I am going to retire on that money. I have only saved about 10k in the last 5 years. My salary is lower than it was 10 years ago.
Would I love to be in a union? Heck yes! In fact, I am doing everything I can to be in one. I am going back to school to get a teaching job. Unions have people to advocate for them. That is unheard of at the companies I have worked for. I get my miserly salary and another miserly 2 weeks vacation, health benefits ( with a 1200 deductible) and no sick days.
Who complains for me? No one.
Is the company doing well and growing? YES! that is what eats me up the most. Ah, in case you were wondering I have a Master's degree, its not unskilled labor I do. The company owners are super rich.
Any unskilled laborer with retirement benefits should thank their lucky stars.
I really don't know how I am going to live when I get older. SS isn't going to be enough, that is why I am trying to get into a situation where at least I will be able to have another income.
violets is offline   Reply With Quote