I know I haven't really participated in this thread, but it so strongly reminded of an amazing quote that I decided to share. It's Jada Pinkett Smith's response to those who criticize her "parenting skills" in reference to how Willow is given independence over her hair:

"This subject is old but I have never answered it in its entirety. And even with this post it will remain incomplete. The question why I would LET Willow cut her hair. First the LET must be challenged. This is a world where women, girls are constantly reminded that they don’t belong to themselves; that their bodies are not their own, nor their power or self determination. I made a promise to endow my little girl with the power to always know that her body, spirit and her mind are HER domain. Willow cut her hair because her beauty, her value, her worth is not measured by the length of her hair. It’s also a statement that claims that even little girls have the RIGHT to own themselves and should not be a slave to even their mother’s deepest insecurities, hopes and desires. Even little girls should not be a slave to the preconceived ideas of what a culture believes a little girl should be."

This really resonated with me. I have never been in conflict with my parents over my hair, but my parents (esp. my father) have a habit of body-shaming (almost slut-shaming) me when I wear tighter shirts, or ones that show a little bit of cleavage. I do know that they love me, and want to "protect" me I suppose, but I personally don't feel that it is immoral to wear clothes that fit my body the way it was made, as opposed to hiding it. So I do.

I apologize for straying a little off-topic there; anyway, this has been a very thought-provoking thread, and I thank everyone for sharing, especially the OP -- I think the way you handled the situation is fantastic and highly commendable.
CG since July 2012!
3a; mediumish porosity, medium/coarse, high density
Cleansers: Suave Naturals, VO5, SM shea butter shampoo, TJ TTT shampoo
Conditioners: GVPCB, Tresemme Naturals, TJ TTT
Stylers: LALS, La Bella gel, SM curl milk, coconut/olive oil