View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
Honeycurls

In talking to one of my professors yesterday who is just a couple of years older than me and whose ethnic makeup is black and Korean, we discovered that our childhood experiences as light-skinned blacks mirrored each other, even though as a military kid, she lived all over the country, nowhere near where I grew up. She is a likable, intelligent, well-traveled, accomplished woman with a PhD, who doesn't carry an obvious chip on her shoulder.

One incident I thought was particularly inappropriate. While still a child, her father remarried, this time to a "real" black woman, and during one of her initial encounters with my prof, the woman laughed and said, "We used to beat up girls like you." I'd like to tell you this kind of attitude is an isolated incident, but it's not. I've heard the same stories too many times over the years. She was never able to become close to her stepmother because of the divisive tone her stepmother established early in the relationship with that comment. She says she also remembers very vividly the first time someone notified her that she "wasn't a 'real' black person"...when she was 5 years old. Even as a na´ve 5 year old, having someone say that to her resonated so profoundly that it left a permanent, palpable scar on her psyche.

What I've also observed/experienced is that it's not just about skin color and features, but it's about how "black" you "act."

Yeah, life is soooo much easier for us light-skinned black females. I agree that colorism and racism aren't going away. Ever.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me!
Honeycurls is offline   Reply With Quote