View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Korkscrew

Figuring out your hair properties - like porosity, density, elasticity - can help. These might guide you toward appropriate techniques/products. ... Debatably, many of us also place some value on curl typing systems, like Andre Walker's chart (1,2,3,4 / a,b,c) to determine size of curl and texture.

Some specific ingredients may or may not affect your hair dramatically. Some vary depending on climactic changes (with humidity/dew point changes). Some hair loves or hates protein in products. Sulfates and silicones have a certain affect, and so on. Balancing product when in combo is impt. Experiment.

You can peruse this site and continue gathering info (like on the things stated above, and more), and keep posting questions.

Just a gentle reminder: everything is relative. What's "dry" or "super curly" to one head of hair is normal for another. You might have to accept certain aspects of your hair. Also, frizz isn't necessarily Satan's halo. A certain amount of it often comes with the territory. Curly hair will rarely be 100% predictable or "controllable", which is half the beauty of it. Unless you chemically or thermally beat it into flattened submission, it will always have a will to do its own thing (brave little determined thing).

At times, I've had to fight against a tendency to fall into the trap of wanting "perfect" curls because it sets me up to be what folks here call a "product junkie" (My affectionate term for it is "product b--ch", because you get owned before you can bat a lash). It's an expensive, trifling little addiction that annoys lovers everywhere I mention this to you now just as a heads up.

Good luck!
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote