I once overheard a woman, standing two feet away from me at an office party for a company where my husband worked, say with disgust that wearing curly hair was some kind of "statement", and that the women who wear their hair curly "can do something about it" but "they" purposely seek attention. I can't be 100% sure she was blatantly attempting to insult (instruct?) me, but I glanced around and noticed I had the curliest, and reddest, hair of anyone in the immediate vicinity.

I wanted to say something witty and universally defensive of curly hair, but then I suspected that was joining her game, whatever it was. Later, when I was introduced to her formally, (and she learned that her husband was in a management level that ultimately reported to my husband, who was CSO and a VP of the company), she wouldn't even look directly at me.

I never saw her again, otherwise I would definitely have pried from her whatever grief she met at the hand of some curly woman that ultimately caused her to feel that curls were symbolic of feminine rebellion.

jeepcurlygurl - your hair is stunning and absolutely beautiful. Every time I see your avatar I admire those curls. Boo hiss to "dyed, fried, old lady hair"!
3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
CG since August 2011/Modified since 2013
Favorites: KC Knot Today,Camille Rose Curl Maker, Curl Keeper, Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee,
Curls Unleashed Second Chance Curl Refresher,
As I Am CoWash, Deva No-comb Detangler Spray,
No-Poo, One Condition
CHS Tweek, Shea Moisture Hold & Shine Moisture Spray

Last edited by gardencurls; 12-03-2012 at 05:11 PM.