Hey ladies, if you have a male significant other (husband, boyfriend, etc.) with curly hair and he has a hard time accepting. Pass this story along.

When I was 14, I went three months without cutting my hair and wound up with white man's 'fro with lots of curls. I got some compliments but mostly needling. There were a few male friends that said, "I looked like a girl." For the next 19 years, I went away from that look and went short and cropped, sometimes even buzzcut.

When I was 33, I started seeing male friends lose a lot of their hair so I got to thinking, "Well, maybe I should grow it out. I may not have it 20 years from now." I have thinned out some but then again I had a lot to lose. For the next seven years, I started going about 6-8 weeks between haircuts with curls really coming in after 3 1/2 weeks.

This past summer, I ended up going three months to really let the head of curls show. I even started using curl shapping spray from Garnier Fructis. Now I go every three months between haircuts and have my stylist leave it longer after cutting it.

I'm no product expert and every head of hair is different which is why I feel uncomfortable giving advice. Ladies, just remember, "getting your man to accept/embrace his curls is probably a bigger battle than finding the right products."

I'm just glad I finally came around to loving my curls in my early-to-mid-30s.

"Curls aren't just for girls."
Originally Posted by bobby
It's great that you've come to accept your curls! Just seems like an uphill fight not to. Yeah, I've witnessed curly guys get teased for their curls. I wish more boys and men knew that teasing from other boys/guys is often a sign of jealousy. It reminds me of when guys who are gorgeous in a certain way are teased by other guys (called "pretty boys"). Yeah, they may be "pretty" but you all know it will turn a lot of women's heads.

Curly hair is amazing on guys (then again, everything is amazing on guys). I wouldn't change a thing about my husband, who happens to look great. I love him dearly, but if he suddenly sprouted curls on his head I would probably jump for joy
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums

Last edited by Korkscrew; 12-05-2012 at 03:27 PM.