Jaclyn,
I am so sorry this happened to you. I really understand what you are going through. I got a really really bad haircut this past July, and I'm still recovering from it. I too talked "long layers" to my stylist, and she even kept saying it as she cut....but after she was finished with me my hair looked like a style from the 80's. The shortest layers had been cut a little less than 2 inches from the top of my head!!!!! Not only did I want to cry after I left the salon, I did cry!!! The hard part about this when it happens to you is that there is absolutely nothing you can do to remedy it (except hair extensions, which believe me, I considered). What I ended up doing was trying to focus on something about myself that is an asset and play that up. I bought some pretty lip gloss and eyeliner and took extra time with my makeup so that I felt pretty for reasons other than my hair. I also learned to accept my new style and would often tuck it behind my ears and wear pretty earrings. I would do a side bang as well and use a straighting iron to smooth them out. Have you tried straightening your hair with your new style? That actually might look cute on you..... You will get through this. I'm STILL getting through it, my shortest layers are now long enough to put my hair in a pony tail, but I'm growing it out to all the same length at this point. I hope this helps a little. I know it's frustrating, but you'll get through it.
Fine/3a-c hair, CG since 2006
C/O wash: Suave Waterlily Aloe, As I am Coconut Co-wash
Stylers: Kinky Curly Custard Cream, Kinky Curly Knot Today Detangler,Herbal Essence Set me Free Gel, Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
HG: Neutral protein filler
DT: Coconut Oil, Argan Oil
Special Considerations: I frequently color because I have almost 50% grey, I use a semi-permanent to reduce damage