I'm not sure what to make of the whole situation, to be honest. It sounds like Debra Schmidt (the manager) handled it in a very unprofessional way, but I don't know if I would call it racism.

I'm not doubting that her actions/behavior were offensive to the makeup artist...she certainly sounds like a piece of work. And the "you people" comment she made to Ms. Bond definitely does make me wonder if some bigotry might have been involved. Completely uncalled for. I take it that the other ladies present were also women of color, like Ms. Bond, since Ms. Schmidt made that somewhat racially loaded comment. But sometimes it can be hard to tell, because a lot of racism is of the subtle type. Only a few people are bold with their hatred these days because there is a fear of lawsuits, among other things. There is a Black woman in Maine who is suing because a jewelry store employee refused to help her and in that instance, it is obviously about race. The person ignored her and when they did pay attention to her, it was in a very hostile way.

I've experienced something similar with the property manager at my apartment...he wouldn't let me in, treated me like a criminal despite him knowing that I lived there, harassed me and then called the cops with false accusations that I threatened him. He even lied to my husband, thinking that because they are both white men that my husband would be on his side. That was 3 years ago and I still believe there was an element of prejudice involved. In this case, I'm not sure. It wasn't right, but I don't see what can be done about it. I doubt that the manager will lose her job over this. But if Ms. Bond feels that she was treated unfairly, then I can see why she wants to spread the word...she deserves an apology at the very least.