I don't know if it's any "one" ingredient or just a result of the ingredients in the formula when they're all blended, but it definitely can take a ridiculous amount of time to dry. I tried it without the leave-in, and it did dry faster, but it was so crunchy it cracked, and when I scrunched I got frizz. Plus, the middle parts of my clumps still weren't dry.

The ingredients say there is "marshmallow" in it. I don't know if marshmallow extract is as gooey as the sugar marshmallows we put in hot chocolate, but maybe it's the culprit. I have a bottle of agave nectar I use for sweetening tea, and it's super thick, too, like honey. Aloe sap can be pretty thick, too.

I found a curl custard I prefer to KCCC and one of the reasons is it doesn't take as long to dry, but also it doesn't get as crunchy. The crunch is more "rubbery" (if that makes sense...). It's 4Naturals Spring Back Custard. Ingredients: Water, Sucrose, Propylene Glycol, Pectin, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Chlorphenesin, Citric Acid, Fragrance
3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
CG since August 2011/Modified since 2013
Favorites: KCKT, Curl Keeper, BRHG, Camille Rose Curl Maker,
Jane Carter Nourish & Shine Butter,
Curls Unleashed Second Chance Curl Refresher,
Shea Moisture Hold & Shine Moisture Spray