First, it needs to be as long as his in the last two pictures for you to get nice, complete curls like that.

But even if it isn't that long now, start working now to get it healthy and in the best condition. Stop brushing and combing it, if you do, except maybe to comb conditioner thru in the shower. Cut out sulfates in shampoos and silicones (any ingredients ending in -cone, -conol, -xane . . . I think that's all. It's been a long time since I've tried to list them for someone) in conditioners and styling products. Keep it well-conditioned - all curly hair is drier than straight.

Do use some sort of gel or styling product - you'll likely only get undefined curls and frizz without any, more like Wolff's in the very first picture. Styling product helps it form a cast as it dries, freezing the curls' shape into place and helping to prevent frizz. Most have better results if they apply it right out of the shower while their hair is still pretty wet. Scrunch it thru your hair to distribute it and get your curls going well. Then simply air dry or if you must use a hair dryer, always use a diffuser, keeping your hands off your hair as you do so. Also keep your hands off of it until it's absolutely dry, and then only to scrunch out any crunch from your styling product - that cast I mentioned. If you do that while there's any moisture left in it, you'll likely get frizz and not nice, defined curls, but if you do it when truly dry, it'll break up that cast, get rid of the wet look, and your curls will last better because they're fully "cooked", LOL!

All of that is just some basics, but you can find all manner of tips here. See the stickies at the tops of both the Newbies and General Discussion About Curly Hair forums for some of the most common/most popular tips and tricks. If you happen on someone, male or female, along the way with the sort of hair you want, stalk them to see what they're doing and using. Don't be afraid to ask them questions - most will be flattered and glad to help. We've all been there!

HTH
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - med./fine, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Last edited by WurlyLox; 12-21-2012 at 11:53 AM.