Fudge is just very sweet. It's candy, after all. You won't find less sweet recipes because the sugar is necessary.
You can always make dark chocolate fudge. The chocolate cuts some of the sweetness.
Chocolate marshmallows are some of my favorites to make for this reason.
Originally Posted by Saria
Well I am not a big fudge fan but I know other are. However my husband made some fudge last week and after trying some, I thought my mom and grandmother won't like how sweet it is. I found a great recipe posted on the Huffington post that stated it wasn't too sweet, but it is a British recipe and I didn't want to substitute the ingredients and have it come out terrible. I am also trying to avoid any nuts too as I am making two things with nuts also. I think I am being too picky.

This is it here. Cookie Crumb Caramel Microwave Fudge | Cook Republic
Originally Posted by curlysue21
It'll be as sweet as fudge is. The "not too sweet" thing provides no comparison. Fudge is freaking sweet. As candy-making goes, I don't make it much unless it's chocolate or peanut butter because it's supposed to be really sweet since the sugar is needed for it to turn out.
You can certainly make it without issues. Golden syrup is sold here, but you don't need it. Glucose is used in professional applications here. The ingredient for home is just corn syrup. The Brits are always trying to find substitutes for corn syrup for candy. You can just replace both the glucose syrup and the golden syrup with corn syrup.

Why don't you make cookies if you're worried about things being sweet?
Or some of that salty sweet pretzel bark concoction everyone loves?
Or if has to be candy, chocolate truffles?

Last edited by Saria; 12-22-2012 at 11:37 AM.