View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
WurlyLox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkscrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WurlyLox View Post
I suggested gel because most here find that it gives them some control and a bit more consistency in their results, although once it's scrunched out, hair doesn't look "styled" or anything - it just helps keep the look you achieve.
I'm not sure about "most", but yes, quite a few. Because quite a few instead use the conditioner-only method, so that the conditioner becomes a means of "shampooing" as well as a an actual conditioner PLUS a styler, which, if you can pull it off, is actually cheaper and less complicated than buying gels or otherwise layering products. It's another reason to try using conditioner only first ... Also, there are many who use some sort of oil instead of gel. "Need" for gels or other stylers often depends on how strong your curl pattern is to begin with, how high your porosity is and the relative humidity/dew point in your area.

Yes, there are non-alcohol based commercial gels but it seems to me many popularly used ones do have alcohol, often as one of the first ingredients. So I'd say just be mindful.
Strange. I always read labels before trying anything new, and I've seen very few gels with alcohols other than cetyl, cetearyl, stearyl alcohols, etc., which are beneficial, desirable fatty alcohols used as emolients in many products.

You definitely do want to avoid SD alcohol, denatured, isopropyl alchols and such - Maybe this would help differentiate good alcohols from bad as you try to figure out what you want to try.

Co-washing is great if you're one who it works for, but it doesn't for a lot of us - some need to at least occasionally low-poo. Certainly try just co-washing first - if less works for you, you're blessed. But even if it does, many still need the help of gels and/or other styling products to retain/maintain the nice curls they achieve - at least in some weather/dew points. Figuring all that out is what generally requires some experimentation.

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated, GTTT or Aim2Health 'poos as scalp needs, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein Trtmt & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, AO Mandarin Magic, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing then clips or clamps & air dry. Blend gray w/henna glosses

www.fotki.com/auntnett
WurlyLox is offline   Reply With Quote