Post pictures of dreads, the pros and cons of having them, up keep, and general advice... I'm considering locking my hair in college (mom refuses to let me have them under her roof) but I still haven't made a definite decision.
Originally Posted by Ela234
Love your signature. Praise God.

Re: locs (I call them locs because "others" coined them as "dreadful," but they are truly wonderful)...

PROS: low-maintenance after the budding phase, incredibly versatile, attractive when properly kept
CONS: budding phase can be tough for some, especially those with fine or wavier hair.

The pros far outweigh the cons, IMHO. I have a mostly fine head of 3c/4a hair. The first time I loc'ed, it took about 6 months of comb-coiling and handrolling (just gel and essential oils; nothing waxy or greasy) before I got to the budding phase. I don't know how much you know about the process, but the bud is the bump that forms in the middle of a coil -- the beginning of the loc -- which then flattens and spreads up in both directions until you have a uniform (or mostly uniform) loc.

I've got tons of information, because I was loc'ed twice for a total of about 8 years. I had a so-so experience the first time and a fabulous experience the second time. unicast me if you want to know more -- I'll be happy to share what I know and answer any questions you might have. Grace, peace, and life be unto you.
Originally Posted by Shones
Hi Shoni,
I started locking about three weeks ago and my loctician has never locked my type of hair before, 3b-4a (like you) and I do not want to make big mistakes like I've heard of on youtube. I would any and all information you can share with me. I would love to try and maintain my locs myself for the normal maintenance part of it. She recently add a wax to my locs to help them lock quicker, but it left a greasy film on my hair, until I wasted it out two days later. Help!