This may be a little long because I just want to be as detailed as possible. Also, my apologies if this gets asked a lot. I joined the forum just to ask this question.

I had (have?) naturally wavy hair. Somewhere between type 1 and 2A. (I didn't even know there were such types until I joined this forum!) I didn't really like it back then, so for the past 7 years or so I've been straightening my hair pretty much every day. It is straight now, and I want my waves back!! My hair length is about even with my chest, and it is very thin.

I keep seeing the suggestion of leave-in conditioner. I plan on trying that, but it seems like most people are saying that's good for dry, damaged hair. My hair might be damaged, but it's definitely not dry! It's very silky and smooth, and it gets oily quite fast.

I do plan to stop straightening my hair during this process of getting my natural hair back. But what are some other tips and suggestions? Should I try the leave-in conditioner? If so, what brands do you suggest? Should I use a shampoo and conditioner for curly hair? If so, what brands do you suggest? Should I scrunch it when it get out of the shower or just let it air dry and wear it natural with maybe a braid? Are there any home remedies or concoctions I can use? Any and all suggestions would help, and it is greatly appreciated.

This picture is from 5 years ago. (Sorry for the cropping and stuff; it's a weird photo of me, but it shows my waves quite well.)

This is what my hair looks like now when I just air-dry it. No heat at all.