It's all about taking care of your hair properly--using the right product/technique. I never used product until I started lurking on nc.com. I started out as winter wavy/summer 3a. Now my hair looks like my signature picture all year around.

First thing you need to do is know your hair properties. Here's a link to help Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics Once you determine your hair properties, you can look for others with hair like yours and see what they use (in signature.) It's the best place to start.

The foundation of great hair is a good haircut. Make sure you get appropriate layering. Next, is getting the protein/moisture balance right. Unfortunately, finding the right products is a lot of trial and error. That's why it's good to start with products/ingredients that others with similar hair use.

My hair prefers the more natural products from the online, boutique type companies. I avoid chemicals as much as I can, especially polyquats. My fine/low porosity hair loves protein. I do at least one PT a week and use a lot of products with protein. If your hair is fine and/or porous, it should probably like protein, too.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams