View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Corrina777

We all had tons if questions when we first stumbled upon this site. Many people here are super helpful, so never feel bad for asking questions.

I had the same concerns about CG, especially since I do martial arts 4-5 days a week. The first thing to keep in mind is that co-washing (using only conditioner to cleanse your hair) is not mandatory for CG. The definition of CG is eliminating sulfates and silicones- how you do that is a personal preference. The second edition of Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey (where the name CG came from) does indicate that sulfate-free cleansers can be used. There are an abundance of sulfate-free shampoos (low-poos) to choose from- just make sure you choose one without silicones. I still rotate in a sulfate shampoo once every few weeks, usually when I do my PT/DT, but I found one that's silicone-free and extremely gentle. I found that the biggest improvement in my hair was from eliminating non-water-soluble silicone from my hair products, especially my cleanser and conditioner, because I was able to get more moisture into my hair.

I found that I can co-wash as long as I use a very light conditioner (my favorite is VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea) and massage my scalp really well while cleansing an while rinsing. There are also "cleansing conditioners" available, that will give a little more cleansing power than regular conditioner, but will still be gentle on hair. I'm a huge fan of these.

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: DevaCare One Condition, SS Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse, Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
Corrina777 is offline   Reply With Quote