You didn't mention your texture - fine, medium, coarse... Generally porous hair likes protein so I wonder why you think yours doesn't? Unless it is coarse, it should need protein. I honestly think texture is THE most important hair property when determining what products to use.

As far as making it "look good" - what are your goals? If you don't think it looks good now (I think it looks fine, btw) have you considered switching up your stylers? What is it you're going for that's different than what you've got now? Bounce, shine, less frizz, etc...? If what you're using now isn't giving you results you want, why not change? It's hard to advise you on what to try differently without knowing what results you're looking for though.

I've never had anything but a standard haircut so I can't give you too much advice on dry cuts or anything like that. If you have split ends, even a simple trim would help with that.
fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
Poo: Giovanni 50:50
RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
LI: KCKT
PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
Gels: SCC spray gel