All I can say is that mother is a lot nicer than I would be to complete strangers who feel they have the right to provide me with unsolicited advice pertaining to my child. This conversation right here just had me floored:

Cashier: What’s you name, sweet little girl?
Naomi: Naomi
Cashier: You sure are pretty.
Cashier, to me: Have you ever thought of fixing her hair?
Me: Yes, I learned how to braid and I take care of it, but it’s been braided for so long I wanted to let the parts rest a bit and give her hair a chance to be natural.
Cashier: Well, I have been looking at it, and I can tell you don’t know what you are doing. (Then, she proceeds to give me directions to a braid shop in my hometown.)
Cashier, to Naomi: How does your mom fix your hair normally?
Naomi: in twists, in beads, in braids, in an afro….
Cashier: Well, you sure are pretty, but you’d be even prettier if your mom took you to a braid shop.
Seriously?? You are a random cashier, you don't know anything about this woman other than the fact that she is white and her daughter is black, and based on that you feel that it's your place to not only address the mother but the daughter as well. Some people have serious nerve. I understand that the mother doesn't want to act a fool in front of her child, and she doesn't want to make it obvious to her daughter that there is tension and negativity with the way some people view hair. But she has to put her foot down. Yes, as a mother you want to lead by example and not just go off on strangers, even if their behavior warrants it. But she can let them know that this is her child and they are disrespecting her boundaries when they approach her this way. You can't tell me that some of these women haven't seen black mothers who have jacked up their daughters' hair, but I bet they never say a word to them about it.