sounds like you are a typical 3a -- mostly 3a,some 2, and even a few 3b curls. even if you were a wavy, a wavy is curly.
YES, a curly haircut will definitely help. try to get someone with good reviews (look under salons on the menu above, put in your location). then call the salon, ask if the person has curly hair and does she/he wear it curly? that is a good indication. if they wear it straight.....
and ask the price. the price range varies greatly, i think it mostly depends on where you live.
also, make sure you specify LONG layers, or long pieces, when they cut. and be specific and make sure they tell you what it will look like, especially length, when they are done.
there is a thread on the stylist/salon forum called, "what should i tell my stylist" that is extremely helpful. it was started by a stylist on this site. it's either at the very top with the 'stickies,' or just do a search for it.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine