That's why I said there's an attitude adjustment needed somewhere - it sounds like an entitled "I don't want to do something I find menial" attitude from the OP, but that could stem from an attitude by management like they're shoving people out the door. Job searching may be the answer, but certainly most people in most jobs do things which are seen as "beneath them" and "not part of their college education" but do them anyway. As an engineer, probably 70% of my job involves paperwork, setting up meetings for different topics I want to cover, transcribing notes from meetings, etc. All things which need to be done and since I don't have a personal admin to do it, I do it. So do my bosses for their meetings.
Originally Posted by NetG
I agree, but having to fill in at a receptionist's desk is different. I don't remember but if it truly is temporary it doesn't sound too bad. But combined with everything else she has said (her projects changing, restructuring that she is not happy with, owners asking people to do personal errands, yelling at them, etc.) it sounds like it would make sense to look for another job. I'm really confused as to why anyone would stay at a job where they feel insecure about her position and that makes her cry.