I liked the movie. The characters are some of the most complex of any Tarantino movie I've seen (have never seen Pulp Fiction or the vampire western movie he was involved in).

Kerry Washington plays a complex character simply (haha) because black female characters aren't often portrayed as anything other than strong, mammy, Jezebel, Sapphire, or if whatever. Otherwise her character was an agencyless woman. But ain't nobody more lacking of agency than a black female slave in early America.....except for perhaps a black male slave or Native.

I went to the bathroom at the dogs scene. One because I had to pee, but two I knew what was coming and didn't want to see it. There were many difficult to watch scenes in the movie. Women getting beaten and branded? Yeah. People fighting to the death for sport. The brothel.

I appreciated how every plantation was different. That's pretty consistent with history. Some masters were kinder than others. Some were sicker than others. All were wrong for owning people.

The n word didn't bother me in this movie anymore than it would in reading Huckleberry Finn. Um, those were the times.

The violence was excessive, but purposeful in my opinion. Nobody was whining in Training Day, Glory, Roots or its sequels, or The Help.

I had more of a problem with The Help (still haven't seen it) because it masquerades as the truth and/ or for whatever reason people want to believe it's true. Django Unchained does not. Sure, slavery is treated in a brutal way here, but it was. So was Jim Crow era Mississippi, but I believe from my reading of The Help the ending was almost as fantastical as Django.

It is one of Tarantino's better movies as far as character development goes, but not my favorite overall. Like Inglorious Basterds, it is not something I would watch over and over and over necessarily, but then I do have that on dvd (and rarely watch it).

Spike Lee should take a seat or two and just make a movie on the topic instead of doing what is starting to become his m.o.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.

Last edited by curlyarca; 01-11-2013 at 05:15 AM.