The DVD that comes with the "newer" Curly Girl book is fabulous. Book is under $10 or you might be able to get it from the library. It really shows you how to style your hair. I could never use the copious amount of product that they do, but learned a lot.

Many of us start out with Deva products, think we like them and then move on to things that our hair likes a lot better. My salon has the Deva products, but I won't let them use them on my hair. After the ingredient changes several years ago, I even found the NoPoo too drying.

The best way to choose ingredients/products is by hair properties. Here's a link to help you with yours Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics Once you determine your properties, look for people with hair like yours and see what they use. It's the best place to start.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams