View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
SunshineGrrl

Default Bleach Alternative

For someone who cannot use bleach, prefers not to use bleach, doesn't want to use bleach on baby's clothing, OR has a septic system and cannot use bleach with a septic system, here is an alternative bleach option:

12 cups water
1/2 cup lemon juice (the kind from the bottle is just fine, no need to freshly squeeze this)
1 cup hydrogen peroxide

Mix in a container large enough to hold all the liquid. Fill machine up with hot water like you would with bleach, add detergent like normal.

For HE washers, add 2 cups of the solution per load through the detergent section and/or bleach section of the dispensers.

For other washing machines, allow the machine to fill with hot water and detergent. Once it is ready to start agitating, pour 2 cups of the solution to the load of laundry.

For both washers, allow wash to agitate and wash for about 10 minutes, then turn it off and let it soak for about 1 hour before finishing the cycle. It works pretty well!
This area is under construction as my hair type changed and nothing works well for me. I shampoo, I condition and pretty much have done nothing but chuck my hair in a messy bun for the past oh...year? Yeah, I'm that lazy.

No...going no-poo or CG does not work for me. It leaves me overconditioned and oily in a second no matter what I use, so that's not what's not working.
SunshineGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote