My parents, meaning well, would always say " would you please go brush that mess!?" I'd come back saying that you don't brush curly hair, unless you want a frizzy mess. Or my mom saying, "your hair looks so much better short....not so witch-like".
Originally Posted by Julesonline
I dated a guy who one day, seemingly fed up started telling me that I need to brush my hair. I told him what happens when I do, but he wouldn't listen. So one day I brushed it, took a picture of the ridiculous afro that resulted, sent it to him, and he finally let it go. It gets so huge, it's actually laughable.
Originally Posted by crazycurlyhair
Hi crazycurlyhair, I would like to explain why I (as well as others) don't find this funny, because the issue you raise here is, I believe, really important.

This website is dedicated to the support, health, and gorgeousness of naturallly curly hair, and an afro is one of the most natural ways to wear some kinds of curly hair. This is why many of us don't think an afro should ever be described using the adjectives "ridiculous" or "laughable."

At the same time, I think your post makes an important point. It is so prevalent in much of mainstream American culture to see afros as "extreme" that some of us who have them think of our own hair as being "weird." When I was growing up, for example, I thought that there was something wrong with my hair. It wasn't until my mid-twenties that I realized that my hair had its own kind of amazing beauty.

Anyway, my point here is to say that, if you choose to style your curls that way, then your Afro should be cherished, not laughed at. If your boyfriend doesn't understand that, then that is his loss. Your hair is amazing, however you choose to wear it. I, for one, would love to see pics of you rockin your gorgeous fro!!
Medium/coarse, low porosity, dense, mix of 3s
CG (again) since Nov. 2012

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention, Elucence MBC, KC Come Clean
Condish: Giovanni DL, Cure Care, Ion Treatment, GVP Balm, AOHR
Protein: AOGPB, CNPF, SSRPT
Stylers: KCCC, SM Souffle, AOMM, SS CEJ, JCRR, JCCC

Trying out steaming!