I've been looking into this ingredient and the word is it's pretty harsh. Harsher than a traditional sulfate. Then again, I think it would vary from person to person because some reportedly think it's gentler. I'm curious as to everyone's feelings on the subject.

I tried Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo the other day as a clarifying shampoo and my hair felt pretty stripped afterwards. (I babied it back with some EVOO but it took some TLC.) I think it would be okay to use again provided I pre poo beforehand. It contains "C12-14 olefin sulfonate". I'm thinking that's what might've stripped it and not the cocobetaine.

Also my mom (a wavie) is a big fan of the Organix Coconut Shampoo. It says sulfate free, but it contains Sodium C 14 16 Olefin Sulfonate. Because she loves the product so much I mentioned it to a wavie friend. This friend purchased it and in two washes she says it severely stripped her hair color. I can vouch for this. I saw her hair just last week. It is now three shades less bright.

So what's the verdict--more harsh, less harsh? Is there a low poo out there that contains just cocobetaine that I could use for clarifying? (I won't need to clarify anytime soon but I might as well be prepared.)
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

Last edited by dusalocks; 01-25-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typo! :p