View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
floridajovigirl

I suffered with uterine fibroids for more than 3 years. I had HORRIBLE periods! For the first 2 days I could not be away from a bathroom for more than an hour. I would go through a super tampon and pad about once an hour for the first 2 days. Trying to sleep at night those first 2 days was a nightmare. My regular OBGYN wanted to do traditional surgery to remove them (she was not trained in the robotic/laparoscopic surgery). This would have required a pretty lengthly recovery which was something that I couldn't do for financial reasons. I started researching laparoscopic procedures and even watched a procedure online. I found a doctor that used the DaVinci Robot. He explained all of my options (do nothing, traditional surgery, etc...). I chose to do the robotic surgery because I wanted the madness to stop and because this method would preserve my fertility. It was the best decision! I was out of the hospital the same day and back to work in 5 days. Of course the first 2-3 days were rough but not excruciating. I took it easy for a few weeks after my surgery but was pretty much back to my normal routine. He did tell me that the fibroids would likely come back and possibly require more surgery down the road. He also said that if I were to get pregnant I would more than likely have to have a C-section as the uterus would not be able to handle labor.

This June will be 2 years since my surgery and my periods are totally back to normal (they have been since the surgery). My only regret is not doing the surgery sooner and allowing it to go on for so long. If they come back I would not hesitate to do it again. The doctor told me that my uterus was over two times the normal size because of the fibroids. He even gave me pictures that he took during the procedure. I didn't realize until after they were gone just how distended my abdomen was because of the fibroids.

2A, Medium Texture, Normal Porosity
floridajovigirl is offline   Reply With Quote