View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
anonymous_133347

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim007 View Post
Ok I have only been doing the curly girl method for a little over a week now. I have read that it can take 2-6 weeks for it to work. But my hair is incredibly frizzy now. My hair has never been this frizzy. It's so frustrating. I don't want to go a month having horrible hair. Any suggestions? I have 3B hair, if that helps at all. Here's the products that I have been using:

Co-Wash - Suave Naturals Coconut
Deep Conditioning - GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-in - Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie
Style - LA Looks Sports Gel

Any ideas?

It might merely be because your hair is adjusting to life without sulfates and silicones. Sulfates would dry it out and affect your sebum balance so before your scalp might've been producing too little or too much sebum thanks to your dehydrating it. Give it a chance to play catch up and adjust. Also silicones were coating your cuticle and coaxing it to lie in place. Now without silicones your hair's frizzing out but eventually it should become hydrated. Frizz is just a curl that needs moisture.

But yes. Go to livecurlylivefree.com and try to determine your hair's properties to see what it might like and might not like. I actually got an analysis just to see and I was surprised to learn my hair is coarse and therefore potentially protein sensitive. I was also surprised to learn my elasticity was low and my porosity high which are potential indications of damage. I am currently nursing my hair back to health and it's responding.

Also check out the weather and this site's frizz forecast. The weather plays a big role in my hair I think. It's fairly arid where I live (we are getting some rain now so it's a bit better) and the dew points are are low. Because of that I think my hair is sensitive to humectants right now and needs more emollients. Otherwise it gets dry and dry hair is frizzy hair.

Dew Points Pittsburgh Curly

Don't give up. Your best hair days are ahead of you.

Protein free stylers I know of are Aubrey Organics B5 Gel, Kinky Curly Curling Custard. Tresemme Naturals also makes a nice, protein free conditioner that is high quality and very cheap. Runs you about $6.

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

anonymous_133347 is offline   Reply With Quote