Duaalocks, not being able to use humectants (ie glycerin) in winter and/or dry weather is a MYTH. Google it. I live in the Wash DC Metro area where it has been freezing cold lately, and still have no problems using products with glycerin. Explanation is clearer online but my quick reason is that so long as your hair is well moisturized with water in the first place, the glycerin will be "well fed" and too full to pull that moisture (which it can't find in the air) of your hair. To refresh hair on no wash days, I use my bottle spray filled with water to revive my curls.
Originally Posted by rmc2
I agree, there isn't any actual proof that glycerin absorbs moisture from the hair.

What probably happens is that (depending on the weather/product application/our porosity, etc) our hair is not moisturized enough before we step out, so glycerin doesn't have a chance to behave as it should from the get-go.

Before leaving the house, try steaming your hair. Or create a moist environment by running the hot shower for a bit to allow the glycerin product to bind to the steam. If you just dislike glycerin in general, try making your own gel. All you need is flaxseed and water