My hair looks a lot like yours, except mine is a little more on the 3A side. I really don't have the volume to get more root curl because my hair is fine and a little on the thin side. My hair is quite protein sensitive and needs TONS of moisture! I find that my hair perks up when I use One and Only Argan oil Hydrating Mask as a rinse out in the shower (Sally's Beauty Supply). I can't use it more than a couple times a week or I get over-proteined though. I do clip my hair while it is drying some days, but I have do it very carefully. I aim the pointy end of the clip towards my head. I place it a little farther down the hair strand in the clump and kind of "push" the curl a little higher up on my scalp and clip it there so the root poofs up a little bit. That is the only way I manage to get any root lift at all. I leave the clips in while I do other morning prep tasks and take them out right before I leave for work. Sometimes I will leave them in my hair until I get to work since I drive there with the heat on (only for about 20 minutes since I live pretty close). I get better curl definition when my hair is longer. Too many layers makes it seem even thinner. I hope you find a technique that works for you!
3a, baby fine i/ii, low to normal porosity, protein sensitive
Mod CG since 5/12, from rainy Western WA
dislikes: glycerin, wheat protein
Poo: Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo
Cond: CJCR, VO5 Clarifying Conditioner
LI: JC WDT, CJ CR
Style: Loma Curvature Curvy Cream, True Polaris Protein Free Truly curly styling gel (Etsy), Sweet Curls flax seed defining gel (Etsy)

Last edited by ltdeforrest; 03-05-2013 at 11:05 PM.