Hi, All: I started this thread, but the site has not been sending me updates, and I just finished all 4 pages. Here is my update and conclusions. For the past week I have been using a Dove conditioner with dimethicone. with my SM shampoos ; CK, and over that, the 3 in ! Mousse, which has dimethiconol also. (Drum roll please, and blue lights....) my hair is fine. It seems to hold up better in the cold here. Here are my conclusions: 1. if one does not shampoo much and loads up on silicones, yes, that is probably a problems. But, if 2. one low poos daily, like I do, and the cones are a. far down the list of ingredients 2. I dont load up on them, then 3. I really doubt those bad silicones are laying on my hair just waiting to smother it. I think, again, it is a question of degree. I think many of us, myself included, initially, bought the CG thing totally, and the products. After one week of the using only the Deva line, I disliked the feel of my hair, it did not feel clean, and my scalp itched. It is really clear to me that a mild, non sulfate shampoo is important; it is less clear to me that cones are to be avoided at all costs. Maybe tomorrow I will try a different routine just for contrast; but it is also nice to know that I dont have to spend $26. on the Deva Foam to get good results. I suspect that in the warm weather, the routine will change again. BTW, I dont have the new SM products in my area, and would love to know how the mousse is!
Originally Posted by Myrna
Good post. Honestly, I've pretty much stopped worrying about cones altogether. I don't low-poo daily, and I alternate between GVP Conditioning Balm (no cones) and Davines Love Smoothing (LOVE this condish!) which has 2 cones --neither of which are far down the ingredient list. If cones really aren't objectively harmful for hair (someone's hair not liking cones is a different story), and I don't believe they are, then it shouldn't matter how far down the ingredient list they are.

Buildup is a different story, but I've gotten plenty of buildup from "CG" conditioners and stylers when I was co-washing, so what's the difference between silicone buildup and other types of buildup? You still have to get the buildup out of your hair with a shampoo. I haven't gotten any buildup since introducing the Davines into my routine, and I only use a low-poo twice a week. I do clarify every 6-8 weeks, but that's because I henna every 6-8 weeks and I like to make sure nothing interferes with the color deposit.
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.