To clarify, the really bothersome part is when people BRAG about being from the city that they don't live in, don't go to, and don't really know much about. Not just if they say they're from there if someone asks where they're from (although even then I'd rather they say "The Boston area" and not just Boston). It's so pointless of a pet peeve, I know!!!

In my defense, I see my family and friends out in the suburbs about 10 times more often than I see them in the city. Its expected of me to go there; they're not expected to actually step outside they're comfort zone to see me in the city, apparently.

But I will admit that in many ways I'm a "city snob". I love the city. I think it's better than the 'burbs. I fully admit it. If I liked the 'burbs, I'd live there! And if the people living in the 'burbs like it there, they should stop bragging about living in the city. That's kinda the whole pet peeve right there...
Originally Posted by Who Me?
I grew up in one of the suburbs you crap all over. If you ask me where I'm from and I know you aren't from Eastern MA, I'll tell you I grew up near Boston simply because the other option is to name the small city and then have to clarify it's location in my next sentence. Being "from Boston" explains my love for the Red Sox, my heritage (Irish Catholic), my sense of style/fashion, and my driving (no comment). Believe it or not, the culture of Boston really does extend beyond Boston proper.
Originally Posted by newcurly
I also grew up in one of those suburbs. And I've lived in the city for 10 years now. The driving is different. The style/fashion is different. I'm not saying better, I'm saying different. That's all.

I, personally, found living in the suburbs to be a terrible fit for me. I'm not crapping all over them. It just (irrationally) annoys me when people go on and in about being "Boston driver" when they spend 99% of their time on suburban roads and don't know Southie from the South End, and have never seem a moving truck stuck on Storrow Drive. Not that this describes you. But it does describe a lot if people. People I grew up with, or friends of family, or family, that often post on Facebook.
"I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON