I once won $20 from a bartender when I was on vacation because he asked where I was from and I told him Boston and he told me he'd give me $20 if my driver's license actually said I lived in Boston and not one of the suburbs.

I grew up 10 miles outside of Boston, and have lived in Boston for the past 10 years - when I lived in CA and people asked where I grew up I said Boston for simplicity's sake unless they knew MA well.

I see people doing the above all the time, but I don't really care. I don't think where I live defines who I am and I am not really impressed with people who live 'in the city' or in a wealthy area. and I don't think where other people live defines who they are. And if it makes someone happy to live in the burbs and go into the city to do touristy things or that they identify with being from Boston (which IMO has a lot to do with the sports teams) then good for them.

I think when I was younger I probably had more of a snobby view on living in the city, but after growing up a little I just don't really care. I can see the appeal of having a big yard, more space and not having to deal with city parking - plus there are also the practical issues of having children and dealing with the BPS school lottery that make city living unattractive.
I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.