View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
anonymous_133347

Thank you so much everyone. This is exactly what I needed.

Nvbrcurlss - What you wrote makes sense because so far I suspect my hair might hate the hydrolyzed wheat protein in my argan ecostyler (although it might have been the glycerin drying me out?) But that it obviously doesn't mind the soy protein (which I know is one of the lighter ones) in my conditioner. And it may not mind the silk protein in my SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie because it's been a few weeks and I have yet to have an adverse reaction.

Aqua_lily - Thanks for supplying that helpful list again. How could I not have put two and two together? Small molecules in the EVOO and the like since you already mentioned they penetrate the hair shaft. . .

redcelticcurls - Thanks again! I do seal with jojoba oil and love it. I just pat a little on between my leave in and gel. It keeps my hair hydrated and I believe contributes to shine. You've got me curious about keratin. Maybe I should try that kpak people were talking about as my protein treatment tester. And maybe I should apply it only to the bottom 2/3 of my hair (which would be the more "damaged" area) for the bandaid effect. But then it is easier to do a home treatment first. I have yet to experience overconditioning so you're right when you say our hair is thirsty and just needs lots of moisture. Plus I live in a (while not too cold) fairly arid climate. It really doesn't help my poor curls.

Cau - Thank you! Another contender. It looks super easy to make. Especially with the microwavable option. I think I heard Jas mention this one in passing. I was all "Gelatin? Really?" I learn so much from this site.

Rizosmio - Sounds very reasonable to me. I think the livecurlylivefree philosphy is also texture comes first because when I got my hair analysis and advice they went with "avoid proteins at all cost!" (It was a bit of a shock because I'd been expecting my texture and porosity to be medium.) Actually it said some coarse curlies can tolerate proteins in their styling products but that's the exception to the rule. I'm wondering about the more medium textured hairs around my nape and underlayers though. They also seem to be a lower porosity because they're smoother and I can slide my fingers up them easier. And they're curlier! Why can't hair be all one texture and a porosity that agrees with it and less of a mystery overall.

Anyways, I've had pretty dry hair all my life but it's also resilient to breakage and I've never seen a split end. . . so I think it's safe to experiment a little.

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

Last edited by dusalocks; 02-03-2013 at 01:41 PM.
anonymous_133347 is offline   Reply With Quote