I'm going to try very hard not to make this a marathon post, so if you're still with me at the end, thanks

I started running about a year and a half ago. I did this purely in an effort to become fit and more healthy. I am 55, slender build, fairly good diet (although I did just have a cupcake - my one superbowl indulgence ), and am in good general health. My children are grown, the dog died 2 years ago, and this was the first time in my adult life that I was basically responsibility-free and able to be selfish enough to concentrate solely on me. My husband saw the benefits I was reaping from it, and he, too, jumped on the bandwagon. So it has been good for "us" too.

This past spring/early summer, I developed plantar fasciitis in my right foot. One morning I woke up and practically fell on my face from the heel pain when I stepped on the floor. But, as is the case, it loosened up after a while and I went about my day. I tried not to dwell on it, but after several months it was so painful that I limped almost any time I walked. I tried all the "at home" remedies....massage, stretching, icing, inserts, new shoes, rolling, etc. Finally, I stopped running. After 4 weeks with little improvement, I went to see a podiatrist. He gave me a cortisone shot, Rx anti-inflammatories, and off I went.

The cortisone really did help the pain in my case and I started walking just after that, then slowly incorporated running. I never got back to regularly running what I was before I was injured, but I was able to run a 10K that I had signed up for previously without any issues. For reference, I'm no marathoner but I had been running 5-7 miles 3x's/week, and was now only doing 3-4. During this time, my heel would be a little sore after a run, but it didn't really hurt. I continued to stretch, ice, massage, etc.

Then about mid-December, it hit again. Really, out of the blue. I had not been increasing mileage, nor doing anything differently. This time, I stopped running right away thinking I'd nip it in the bud. Unfortunately, that's not been the case. I'm 6-7 weeks into it, and I'm still not able to run. With the exception of maybe the 1st week when it was really sore, I'm not even sure it's improved at all. Plus, I'm really getting cranky.

This brings me to my question for the chiropractors and/or PTs....I've read a lot about the graston technique for breaking up scar tissue with these types of injuries. I'm hesitant to go back to the podiatrist because I've read that repeated cortisone can cause damage to the connective tissue. There is a chiropractic clinic in my neighboring city where all 3 of the chiros are certified in the graston and active release techniques. Have you ever used these techniques for PF, and if so, what kinds of results did you see?

I'm registered for an 8K in 6 weeks, which was originally supposed to be a half-marathon...oh well, there's always next year. My kids are coming home to run with us (not really "home" as the race is out of town), the younger one flying home from Cincy just for the occasion. This is probably a first and a last and I am so bummed at the thought I may have to be a sideliner!

Thanks for any input you may have, and if you've read all of this....you rock!!
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)