My late Aunt Nenan's chocolate cake with chocolate icing. It was nearly black in color, super moist, and had a distict flavor. She died without ever giving anyone the recipe (I begged) and I've never been able to copy it. I've tried for years and years. I can still taste it and still miss it. : (
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
A few people I know make a cake that looks exactly as you described. The recipe for it is on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can. It has been for years. That might not be it, but it's worth a shot.

*my phone is killing me. we had to ask my uncle for the recipe many times before he broke down and told us. people seem to act a bit secretive with that one.*
Originally Posted by Fifi.G
Thanks fifi! I might have tried that years ago but always worth another shot!
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
Jeep, I wonder if she had a secret ingredient in her recipe. For instance, I read a trick years ago in a King Arthur Flour cookbook about adding a teaspoon of instant espresso powder to chocolate cake/dessert recipes -- it doesn't make the dessert have a mocha flavor, it just intensifies the chocolate flavor and does give a more distinct taste especially in a chocolate cake.