Drop Biscuits
- makes 10-12 biscuits

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1 cup cold buttermilk
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (about 5 minutes)*

*Melt butter in glass measuring cup large enough to hold buttermilk so you dont dirty two bowls.

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475F. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.

2. Combine buttermilk and 8 tablespoons melted butter, stirring until butter forms small clumps. (make sure to get the clumps, you want this)

Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula until just incorporated and batter pulls away from sides of bowl. Using greased 1/4-cup dry measure (or the spatula you stirred with and your finger), scoop level amount of batter and drop onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake until tops are golden brown and crisp, 12 to 14 minutes.

I also use this as a topping for chicken pot pie.

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! .
The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
spring1onu is offline   Reply With Quote