I love the length, definition and shine in the first picture! I completely understand what you're saying though. I've been contemplating getting layers because I'm having the same 'flat' issue. My hair is super fine, almost down the tailbone when wet but I love the clumpy look so any volume is pretty much impossible right now. I use a deva diffuser (not their super expensive blow dryer, just the attachment) to dry around my scalp and give my roots some lift but by the end of the day...back to looking flat.

I just have to make the effort to find a stylist who knows how to cut curly hair. Also, I'm afraid of the amount it's going to cost compared to the $15 "straight hair" trims I'm used to getting. I guess you get what you pay for.
Originally Posted by sheilacurl
Wow, your hair is very long. And if it's fine, I would think it would have to be pretty flat. As far as getting what you pay for, I'm not sure about that. I'd be afraid to go to a Supercuts or someplace like that but I worked with a woman who had hair very much like mine and that's what she did. Her hair always looked beautiful.
I think there are many stylists out there who take advantage of the curly haired community's obession with our hair and charge more than they're worth. I do think you might benefit from some long layers. You could look on this website for hairstylists in your city and go for a consult or two.