Do you live in the US? I have come to the conclusion that perceptions about who is black and who is not has a lot do with culture. myself and family are light and freckled. Some have blue or hazel eyes, and some of my mom's siblings could almost pass, but we've always considered ourselves black without question. Yes we know we're Scot-Irish, Choctaw and African descent but my last white ancestor died right after the CW. The plantation was a long time ago. But when I talk my friends who are from Latin America, they all argue me down insisting I'm not black. I think the difference is in the US, in order to make Jim Crow work, whites supremicists made it if you are even a little black then you're black aka one drop rule. In Latin America it seems the general feeling is if you are even a little anything other than black then you are not black. Not saying everyone thinks this way but that has been my experience. My dad couldn't believe it when I told him people were telling me I'm not black. Not just Latin America. I saw a lady on YT who looks like me who said she went to Namibia and they told her she wasn't black. She was hurt because she was expecting this "return to the motherland experience."
I think the big problem with stereotyping of how "mixed" people look or even what kind of hair they have is that genetics can be tricky. So someone who has a parent of a different race may not look the stereotype while someone with an ancestor from 200 years ago does.

According to Dr. Henry Gates
58 percent of African Americans have at least 12.5 percent European ancestry (equivalent of one great-grandparent);
19.6 percent of African Americans have at least 25 percent European ancestry (equivalent of one grandparent);
1 percent of African Americans have at least 50 percent European ancestry (equivalent of one parent); and
5 percent of African Americans have at least 12.5 percent Native American ancestry (equivalent to one great-grandparent).
Originally Posted by Ayedee
But then, this is the problem for me. People do not accept the diversity of biracial people. My Father is white, my Mother black and I most definitely I.D as biracial, not black or white. Yet, because I have full lips, a button nose and my skin is a little more tanned than some other mixed people, people INSIST I am black, or that I shouldn't 'bother' I.D as mixed because I look black. As it bothers black people to be told they're mixed or must be mixed, it bothers me to be told I must ID as black because I 'look' black. I think I clearly look mixed. I don't feel black, and biracial people are not all very fair with golden-brown hair and green eyes. This is just my take on it, though, as a biracial person. It's made me insecure. I am what I am, and I am sick of people trying to shove me in a box I don't belong to.
Originally Posted by CurlyCarmenCurly
Well I'm going to step on someone's toes w/this, but anyway: It's amazing that the infamous One Drop Rule myth is still accepted as some valid form of reality, especially considering the increased public availability of DNA testing (Btw: 23andMe just lowered the price of their tests by 300% last month). Maybe it still exists because SOME blacks and whites still feel they have something to gain by using it. Some whites use it to maintain a false sense that they are special, privileged members of a small, elite clique who rule everything (although the moment someone biracial achieves something, they are often quick to "claim" that person as part- white - think the president; or for the Asian ODR, think Keanu Reeves). And of course their offspring are less likely to "accidentally corrupt" their precious white blood lines if a lot of people who look like Wentworth Miller (or even Vin Diesel) feel forced to publicly identify as just black.

Conversely, some blacks ODR biracials for political gain: counting biracials as just black is an artificial means of inflating the black political ranks (If people like Huey Newton or Angela Davis weren't ODRed by themselves and others, how much credibility might the Black Panthers have lost?). And just like some whites, these people use the ODR to claim credit for biracial achievement.

I'm sorry to hear you don't get accepted for who you are. I think that's just $hitty. People have to stop expecting biracial and multi-racial people to deny one part of themselves. But also, it's up to biracial ppl to accept all of who we are and not give in to ODR BS.
Originally Posted by Korkscrew
What about the ones who do accept all of who they are? I have biracial cousins, and have dated biracials. They don't deny either side, they just find it easier (for themselves and others) to use one ethnicity to identify themselves. I dated someone whose father is black and mother is half native half mexican. To my ex, all this didn't matter. But to be fair people kinda figured it out when my ex started speaking fluent spanish.....LoL.

I have a friend who is "blaxican." She doesn't really know her mexican family outside her mom & aunt. She grew up around her black family. I have another friend and her child is biracial. She has explained to the child her ethnic background fully, and leaves it to up to the child when people ask what she is. This child will say "I'm black," and then proceed to say "I'm half Italian tho." I say all this to make the argument that this could be a case by case thing. Some live by the ODR while others oppose it. I don't think it's right or wrong. I believe it's when, how, and why it's applied that piss folk off...

I agree that the ODR is really pushed when it comes to celebrities. Black folk luuuuuuuv claiming the biracial athletes while they hug and thank their non black mom on TV. Why can't they just be people who are "mixed?" Some people don't like that term either, there are so many different mixes in the world. It's a common term used by all races where I'm from and mixed folk among my acquaintence don't find it offensive.......but hey that could be a case by case thing too.....

Birth Feb 1984, First press 1990, First relaxer 1992, Last relaxer Oct 2006, BC Sept 2007, 4C, High Porosity, Protein Craving