Curlycarmel, don't despair! Your hair needs to grow out more in order for the curl pattern to become evident. And curl pattern is highly variable to begin with. It can be affected by weather, product, diet, length, etc. Some people's hair gets curlier as it gets longer so it can clump better and form into ringlets. Other people's hair is curlier when it's short and the weight is off the curl. The first few inches at my roots (except for the front which curls depending on the day or how I style it) are wavy and thick. Then it starts to curl. You might still be the same 2C you were when you were a baby like your mother. If not well, every hair type is beautiful, and there are people here representing each of them so you're in the right place. You're worthy of whatever you wind up with and with a little research you will know how to take care of it. Heat damage can loosen or even kill your curl, yes, but the hair at your roots is completely virgin and safe. As long as you treat it right it will be healthy and beautiful and yours. Just keep trimming the old and growing the new. And do a lot of deep treatments if you can help it. Treat the fried hair very gently and maybe you can coax it back a little.
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG