What about the ones who do accept all of who they are? I have biracial cousins, and have dated biracials. They don't deny either side, they just find it easier (for themselves and others) to use one ethnicity to identify themselves. I dated someone whose father is black and mother is half native half mexican. To my ex, all this didn't matter. But to be fair people kinda figured it out when my ex started speaking fluent spanish.....LoL.
Originally Posted by MissKris
Right MissKris! So it looks like we agree there are plenty of well-adjusted biracial ppl who accept their dual heritages (including me and many that I know). But please notice that I qualified comments in my last post w/the word "some" to describe the portion of biracials who do happen to struggle re: identity politics, and there are quite a few. ... I'm confused by the idea that someone choosing to omit a large part of who they are when stating their ethnic heritage isn't denying one side. I mean, why say you're only one thing if factually you're about equally both? I don't understand why the person wouldn't just say something factually correct and inclusive, like, "I'm biracial but I relate more to black culture", for example? Why say you're just one when you're factually both?

I have a friend who is "blaxican." She doesn't really know her mexican family outside her mom & aunt. She grew up around her black family. I have another friend and her child is biracial. She has explained to the child her ethnic background fully, and leaves it to up to the child when people ask what she is. This child will say "I'm black," and then proceed to say "I'm half Italian tho." I say all this to make the argument that this could be a case by case thing. Some live by the ODR while others oppose it. I don't think it's right or wrong. I believe it's when, how, and why it's applied that piss folk off...
I was extremely careful to qualify cases where the ODR is psychologically and socially deleterious. I think those cases are sad and happen far too often.

I agree that the ODR is really pushed when it comes to celebrities. Black folk luuuuuuuv claiming the biracial athletes while they hug and thank their non black mom on TV. Why can't they just be people who are "mixed?" Some people don't like that term either, there are so many different mixes in the world. It's a common term used by all races where I'm from and mixed folk among my acquaintence don't find it offensive.......but hey that could be a case by case thing too.....
It's odd, and I know not everyone does that thank God. Sure, I agree: there will always be someone groaning over labels like "mixed". At the same time, terms like "mixed" at least allow flexibility when it comes to more truthful ethnic identification. Glad to hear your culture takes advantage of that flexibility when it comes to how others are viewed. That's terrific

I'm responding to Carmen w/empathy because it sounds like she's been the victim of certain ppl insisting she's black and only black, even after she has explained that she's biracial (I've had some deny to my face that I'm [even partially] black after telling them, so I get the frustration). These are the sort of ppl who would shun her as "mixed", "multiracial" or "biracial" - whatever word, demanding that she call herself just black. And I still say that behavior is $hitty and wrong ... not to mention intrusive, ignorant, controlling and insecure.
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums

Last edited by Korkscrew; 02-08-2013 at 03:01 AM.