View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #66626
wild_sasparilla

I hope Polly doesn't have to lose a leg, Ninj, but I'm sure she'll be just as fun and adorable without it if it comes to that. Sending good vibes into that operating room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria_i View Post
I need a hug.

I hope the internet hugs help at least a little bit, and I hope you're feeling okay!

Not trying to pick on you, ruralcurls, you just reminded me of this: Just in general, it annoys me when someone points out something that annoys them about a show/book/whatever and someone says they're reading too much into it, expecting too much, expecting realism/perfection, etc. It's such a dramatic thing to label a comment with. Like, really? Just let people engage with entertainment differently than you do, no one's forcing you to do the same. You don't have to try to shut anyone down by claiming that they think a novel is a dissertation or an action movie is Citizen Kane. If someone rants about how awful it is that there are no song and dance numbers in March of the Penguins, sure, point out that they're watching the wrong movie for that. But if someone just thinks some scene or casting or something was a bad choice, chances are they know exactly what they're watching; they just don't like it, and that's okay.

Also, this leads to such responses becoming automatic, like when I explained to my grandmother that "wherefore" means "why" and elaborated that Juliette's asking "Why did I have to fall in love with THIS dude?" when she seemed confused. She responded by saying I was "reading too much into it" and I had to clarify that, no, I was just defining a word.

...It's a siggie.

Last edited by wild_sasparilla; 02-10-2013 at 10:02 PM.
wild_sasparilla is offline   Reply With Quote