View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #281
curlyhoneyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleBelleCurls View Post
Thanks Myrna.

And yes I do agree, I think that (SADLY) a lot of people especially in the Hispanic community it seems, somehow attach curls to the African American race only, something that is incredibly ignorant. Unfortunately a lot of guys I've met that are Hispanic have pre-conceived notions about curls and they believe that based on what they've heard from their families being "black" is a bad thing?

I know this because I was born in the Dominican Republic, my family however is from Northern Spain and I was raised in the U.S. I'm from all over the place and was never raised with any sort of prejudice or complexes about hair, as a matter of fact growing up I didn't know there was really a difference between straight hair or curly or wavy, I just never thought about it to be honest. But after encountering a lot of Hispanic people I realized most views were very different from mine.

I've noticed that in DR most men if not ALL will NEVER date a girl with curls because that means she must be mixed with African, and in Dominican Republic a lot of people attempt to be as "White" as possible? Whatever that means. So you see women relaxing their hair every weekend at the salon and if you want to find a man, you're not going to with what they call (pajon) or "giant poofy mess" in English. In a lot of Hispanic communities the men's goal is to get a "white" girlfriend, or one that at least sort of looks white, so being curly haired and tan isn't the best thing I guess.

I am mixed with many races. so I don't think curls only come from Africa since there are women and men from all over the globe with curls and textures. But like you said, I do find it quite racist for guys to make comments like that about curls because the majority of the time I feel it does have some underlying pre-conception or assumption about a specific ethnicity, be it African or any other.
I've never been to DR but I've heard this. I live in South Florida which has an overwhelmingly Latin/Hispanic population, and my experiences have always been a bit interesting.

I'm multiracial too, with very white skin and very curly 4B hair. My mother is a very light-skinned Jamaican and my father was a white American. Not only do lots of people assume I'm Latina (mostly Cuban or sometimes Dominican) but I've heard a lot of cruel comments about my hair over the years.

Most of the rude comments have been in English, but some were in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish but I know enough to know when insults are being aimed at me. I remember this Dominican lady washing my hair calling it "feo y sucio" (dirty and ugly)...that was pretty offensive. And there were at least two incidents of Hispanic people calling my hair "n*gger hair". I was not a happy camper.

I only know of one Hispanic guy who said that he wanted to marry a white woman with blonde hair and blue eyes, but most of the Hispanic men I know don't care what the girl looks like as long as they find her attractive. I don't think most of them like my hair but it doesn't stop them from trying to flirt with me, so hey...*shrugs* I once dated a Colombian guy with the most gorgeous curls and he loved my hair, so that was an exception. But I think that for a lot of women and some of us with curly hair of a certain texture, it can be somewhat challenging to find guys that appreciate our hair the way it is.

But I have noticed that, as with other cultures, straight hair is generally preferred. Dominican salons make a killing when it comes to that because most women in my city seem to want sleek, straight hair. And some people aren't shy about giving the stink face to more tightly coiled hair, whether it is relaxed or natural.

curlyhoneyb is offline   Reply With Quote